Not truly the “Best of,” but the tracks in today’s playlist are drawn from the recordings from roughly the last year that I enjoyed listening to the most. These are albums and EPs that I found myself listening to repeatedly. To me, that makes them better than most or, at least, my favorites.
I feel like I say that every time I put together one of these year-end lists.
The numbered list, such as it is, can be seen within this post.
Approximate playing time: 71 minutes.
- John Lennon & Yoko Ono “(Just Like) Starting Over” (stripped down version)
- Little Silver “Sleep Til Morning”
- Josh Rouse “Sweet Elaine“
- Mandelring Quartett & Claire-Marie le Guay “Robert Schumann: Piano Quintet in E flat major, Op. 44 (III. Scherzo. Molto vivace)”
- Josh Rouse “Lemon Tree”
- John Lennon & Yoko Ono “Woman” (stripped down version)
- The Silver Seas “From My Windowsill”
- Daniel Tashian “High Time”
- The Silver Seas “What’s the Drawback?”
- Laura Veirs “Summer Is the Champion”
- Clare Burson “The World Turns on a Dime”
- Ed Harcourt “Do As I Say Not As I Do”
- Broken Bells “The Ghost Inside“
- Ed Harcourt “Lachrymosity”
- Justin Townes Earle “Workin’ for the MTA”
- Clare Burson “I Will / With You”
- Laura Veirs “When You Give Your Heart”
- Justin Townes Earle “Slippin’ and Slidin’”
- Broken Bells “October”